I don't think I've been very good about updating Facebook
since Cal's arrival, so I thought I'd do a little blog post instead to catch up. Thank you if you are taking the time to read it. My last few weeks of pregnancy, I thought I'd update Facebook more often just to let people know the baby hadn't arrived yet! And now that he is here, I guess I'm just not as quick to post. I try not to post frivolously, and if I hesitate to post when the thought crosses my mind, then most of the time it's not shared! I also feel split in what to post. Should I share about that cute thing Riley just did, even though this new baby we have is so special and exciting, too?
Two of Riley's favorite things: Playing with glasses and her dinosaurs! Silly girl!
Oh yes, and pictures. They keep piling up and I am working hard to keep on top of them (I will try to post more when my next batch is organized). Not to mention that I'm also staying conscientious about taking pictures of Cal. I took so many when Riley was a baby (and still), and I think it's only fair that Cal's life is just as well documented, even though he's not the first baby.
We are in love with our new son! He has already changed so much! His face is still newborn, but it's not quite as new. His coloring has also been changing. When he was born, his hair was slick and looked dark brown. It seemed lighter the next day and is nowhere near dark brown now. And his eyes are still dark blue, so I'm looking forward to finding out what color they end up.
Cal in the nursery after he was just born. Maybe his hair just looked dark to me...it doesn't look so dark in pictures!
Cal is also noticeably growing! His newborn clothes seemed too short after only a few days...such as the sleeper pajamas he couldn't stretch his legs out in! His 0-3 month clothes fit much better.
He's also gaining weight well. I weighed him the other day and he is over nine pounds. This rapid growth is new to me since Riley was so small for awhile and was in her newborn clothes for more than a month! I doubt Cal will be in 0-3 month clothes for much longer. We'll see!
Cal slept a ton the first week and a half and now he is starting to spend a bit more time awake. He seems to be waking up around midnight, 2 and 5 at night. I'm doing fine with it, but I probably would be less tired if I was going to bed earlier. I just seem to get a little stretch of time at night before bedtime where Steve holds Cal while he sleeps, and I can actually get a few things done.
Cal seems to be developing a bit of a fussy period in the late afternoon and into the evening. He seems happiest then with me and nursing. I don't feel like I can really put him down sometimes! He sleeps longer stretches in the morning, especially if I take him out and we are on the go.
Sometimes, it really looks like Cal is smiling. Often it's when he's sleeping, but he does it awake, too! Even though babies don't smile purposefully yet at this age, our baby boy has me convinced otherwise! The way his lips curl up makes me so happy.
Only one week old!
I am surprised that having a newborn seems easier the second time around. Riley seems like the most demanding one now! Cal might be trained to be easygoing for that reason. I of course respond to him whenever he needs me, but his cries do not feel as alarming to me as the first time around. It is also so nice feeling more confident about taking care of a newborn. I have gotten out a couple of times with just Cal, and I was surprised to feel like it was a break compared to also having an active toddler in tow! Don't get me wrong, having a newborn is still a lot of work the second time around, I just feel more at ease with one!
Riley seems to be doing well with her adjustment as Big Sister. Still, her favorite thing to do with Cal is to give him kisses. It is so sweet! She also tries to give a new toy of Cal's to him. He's
not going to be interested in the toy for another month or so, but it's thoughtful of Riley to want to share! Not surprisingly, I am not able to be as hands on with Riley as I was before we had a newborn to nurture, but thankfully, we have had my mom and Steve around to help. Riley is such a daddy's girl, so he can step in without any resistance from her. In fact, sometimes when I try to help her with something, she requests Daddy instead. I know everything is a phase, so I'm not hurt with her rejection.
While my mom went home to the Bay Area a week ago, Steve started family leave on Monday! We have already had a week with him home (not counting the time he took off to be home the first week), and it has been wonderful. He has been such a huge help (he even cooks!). I'm not really sure how I'll manage everything on my own when he goes back to work. Preparing meals and cleaning the kitchen on top of caring for two very dependent little ones seems like a lot by itself. I'm so grateful that I have help with that, and lots of other things right now. I may not be doing so hot in the kitchen, but I have kept on top of our endless laundry! To me, a fed family, a clean kitchen and clean laundry are the most important chores! Oh, and organizing pictures, haha.
Cal's first real bath
Steve is spending time bonding with our new baby, of course, but the time he has with Riley is just so special, too. For example, she keeps requesting a trip to the pet store (my mom started this when she was here, and Riley loves the fish because they'll scatter when she puts her finger in the glass, and the rats because they have "long, skinny claws"), and he took her there three times this week! He also took her to the grand opening of a park in our neighborhood, to her swim lessons, and to her toddler class! That would be a lot to do so soon on my own. They are having a great time together and bonding, too!
Riley playing with the fishes at the pet store
What a happy pair...such a Daddy's girl!
Our first few weeks as a family of four have been life changing and special. We can all look back with fondness the time Steve had six weeks at home with our family and when our sweet little baby boy was first born. We are so thankful for this time!
Cal's first trip to the beach!

+-+Copy.jpg)



No comments:
Post a Comment