Friday, December 19, 2008

The Southwest & the Grand Canyon

Last week, my dad drove from home in the Bay Area to Santa Fe to move my sister from Santa Fe, New Mexico, back home. My dad mentioned how it would be fun if I'd be able to come along, but kind of jokingly since I recently started a new job and don't have much, if any, time to take off yet. I would have had to have taken four days off to come along with him and back home, and I was feeling sad that I couldn't go.

I talked to my friend, who mentioned how nice it would have been for me to spend that time with my dad and sister, and who knew when the next time I could visit that area would be? I already knew that, but it made me feel stronger about finding a way to make the trip work!

To make a long story short, I found airfare at the last minute to fly from LA to Albuquerque. My dad picked me up late Thursday night, and we finished moving my sister out of her dorm Friday morning. Then, after a short visit in the downtown area of Santa Fe, we hit the road. We stayed in Flagstaff, Arizona Friday night, and made it to the Grand Canyon by Saturday during mid-day! It was my first time there and I thought it was amazing.

We continued our road trip again after the short visit to the Grand Canyon. I have to say that it was freezing outside and very windy. We fared extremely windy weather the rest of the way home. That didn't exactly make for optimal driving conditions. My dad had to firmly grip the wheel of the SUV to keep us from swaying. We actually made it to my house by close to midnight on Saturday night. My dad and sister stayed the night with Steve and I, and continued the rest of the way home on Sunday.

It was a crazy couple of days, but I would not have missed it!

P.S. My sister is not in any pictures because she slept in the car the whole way! She'd seen the Grand Canyon once before and was tired from her finals...plus it was warmer in the car!

Checking out Native American artwork in downtown Santa Fe

My dad and I by the sign for the Grand Canyon (as you can see!)

Me next to the Grand Canyon for the first time!

I think this is my favorite shot of the Canyon

Me and my dad

We saw these animals as we were leaving the park. They are either elk or mule deer, but I am not positive either way. They were a sight to see, regardless!

No comments: